Saturday, December 26, 2009

Conflict Resolution

This year I experienced two crises. (criseses? i can't know the plural of crisis right now for some reason) The first occurred in February, when my roommates kept telling me that I wasn't an identical twin, even though I'm sure that I am. I even wrote a note on the Facebook about it. This is what I said:

My twin and I are quite different, but we've always considered ourselves to be identical twins. But what if we're fraternal? I mean, no one but me even knew about her until 8 days before we were birthed. We don't look that much alike. In fact, we look quite different. Alyssa is about 3 inches shorter and 30 pounds lighter than I am. Most people don't even believe that we're twins..they think Alyssa is a year younger than I am. So what do you think? Are we identical or fraternal?

A couple weeks ago, I experience another, less humorous crisis. I discovered that I have absolutely no interest in pursuing a career in Psychology despite the fact that it is what I've been studying for the last 2 1/2 years. I stayed up extra late every day for about a week, looking into different majors and trying to figure out if there was something I actually did want to do. This is what I realized:
1) I don't really like a lot of people, so Psychology is pretty much 100% not for me.
2) I don't have very many interests. I might be one of the most boring people that ever walked the face of the earth.
3) I hate going to class, but I don't mind doing the work for the class. (This results in some pretty awful grades)
4) Even though I don't speak or write correctly most of the time, I get English. I understand grammar, I understand how to learn it, it just clicks in my brain.
5) The classes I enjoyed the most/did the best in have been my Portuguese classes.
6) I should probably do something English/language oriented.
7) Maybe I should change my major to English Language.

Realization number 7 has made this crisis worth it. I'm signed up for an English language class next semester, and if that goes well, I probably will change my major. This will make me have at least 3 more years of schooling, resulting in a graduation at age 23 or 24 instead of 21, but I've decided it will be worth it.

The two people who read this here brain slosh of words probably don't want/need this information, but it's here anyway. It's fine.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to see these resolved dear em. A. I love that you two are identical, but still different. it adds flair to your twinship. :) B. I amd SO glad you have felt better about english. When I was talking to you you seemed like it was possible, but not so set, so I'm glad to see things moving that way. and have you gotten into that english class yet, did you find an opening? ok, i love you. please call me with any further criseses. fair? :)

    ReplyDelete